Did you know that Melbourne is almost 180 years old? This Sunday will mark 180 years since Melbourne was founded on 30 August 1835 by settlers who sailed from Van Diemen’s Land (Tasmania) aboard the schooner Enterprize.
Celebrate our fabulous city with these free events around town:
Official flag-raising ceremony
Join city councillors, the 2015 Junior Lord Mayor competition winner, Melbourne Day chairman Campbell Walker and committee, VIPs, dignitaries and others as we hoist the city’s flag at 9am.
- Hear the 35-piece Royal Australian Navy Band Melbourne.
- Meet the Enterprize’s “first settlers” in period costume — including Gilbert, the Tassie tabby, Melbourne’s first cat!
- Sing along to sea shanties by the Enterprize Shanty Band.
- See and hear roving town crier Brad Croft in full voice.
- MC Sally “Dr Feelgood” Cockburn, of radio 3AW’s Talking Health show.\
Melbourne Day Free all ages concert
Melbourne-born music legends Daryl Braithwaite and Russell Morris headline our FREE concert on Sunday, August 30, in the Docklands — proudly sponsored by GOLD 104.3 with Brig and Lehmo.
Melbourne Day Market
The regular Docklands Sunday Market is celebrating our city’s 180th anniversary with a special, Melbourne Day-themed variety market. Open from 10am – 5pm.