Chinese new year is all about gathering with family, eating lots of delicious food, playing with firecrackers, buying new clothes and the giving and receiving of red envelopes. It is a time for families to be together. Melbourne offers you a 17 day Chinese New Year festival with activities located from Queensbridge Square, Queen Victoria Market, Chinatown, the Chinese Museum, Melbourne Zoo, Eureka Skydeck and Southgate, through to Docklands and DFO South Wharf.
Things you can do while staying with us at The Swanston Grand Mercure
and Mercure Welcome –
- Experience “God of Prosperity’s visit” at Emporium Melbourne
- Enjoy a Chinese New Year’s Eve Feast sponsored by Secret Kitchen, located at the corners of Exhibition and Little Bourke Street.
- Be memorized by the dragons at the Dragon Parade Day throughout Chinatown on 29th of Jan, Sunday.
- Buy a lantern and hang it on The Lantern Wishing Tree at Cohen Place
- Watch Asian short films, also at Cohen Place